Thursday, September 9, 2010

Amnesty


I've always kept myself at a comfortable level of ignorance when it came to most of the current events and  troublesome injustices going on around the world. When I hear about starving children, nuclear weapons, genocide, poverty and disease ridden countries, war, and how we're completely killing the ozone layer with pollution among other things I feel genuinely hopeless and overwhelemed with sadness...and I just want to be happy, and carefree. Ignorance is bliss afterall...or is it? I think I've reached a level of maturity now where I feel like I can take on a crumb of this burden and strive to not only become more aware but also become active and involved with some of these issues, and that I will actually be a lot happier for doing so in the end. I think my whole motivation in this, aside from the fact that the issues upset me,  stems from my need to put meaning in my life too though. I eventually just really really want to be a helpful asset to this earth by the end of my time here, and  not feel like just a waste of space and resources.

There is so much that needs to be done, and so many people that can help, and yet it seems that not enough people ever really do... I think part of the issue is that a lot of people, including myself, have sort of fallen victim to the Bystander effect when they are faced with the major issues in the world (  a psychological phenomenon where the more people there are, the less likely any one of them will help). Take global warming for instance...it is something every person on this earth has contributed to in one way or another, and yet...still..so many people feel that it is in no way any of thier business or problem. Because there are so many people, the guilt,sense of responsibility,  and fault for all of these issues is diffused so much to the point where people as individuals stop feeling pressured and to blame and they easily become apathetic or insensitive. I don't want to be like that anymore... I am beginning to realize that it is my obligation and responsibility as a human being on this earth to educate myself on matters outside of my life, get involved, and help where I can...I refuse to be a bystander from now on.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment